Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mimic - Art of Nature series


24"x24" Acrylic, oil, graphite on panel.
This piece is titled, "Mimic" is a reference to forms in nature that are similar. My inspiration for this was a leaf of an oak tree. Not sure which variety but it was one that I picked up on a walk last fall. It had a great shape like a puzzle piece. I was also thinking of the leaves of the Dusty Miller plant. These shapes are similar to the form of a mammals vertebrae.
I was also experimenting a bit with getting back into oil paints here. The underpainting is done in acrylics and then I use oil on top. I'm using Alkyd oils as they dry faster than regular oils. I can add on top of them after a few hours. I add a little Galkyd to speed up drying time even more.

Detail

2 comments:

  1. I know the leaf. It's not Gamble Oak, but something similar.

    Very nice!

    -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike. I believe it's a White Oak.

    ReplyDelete